As we bid farewell to 2011, we look forward to what 2012 has in store. Sure, there will be new trends that take the world by storm, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t derive inspiration from what the year before brought us, especially when we saw one of the world’s most lavish and popular ceremonies to-date (thanks Will and Kate!). So, what will 2012 mean in the bridal world? Here are 5 trends to keep your eye on!
- Bridal Gowns—Look for gowns with multiple layers and lots of texture in the upcoming year. Long-sleeved lace gowns like one by Elizabeth Fillmore no doubt take their inspiration from Kate Middleton’s stunning Alexander McQueen dress. And for the bride who prefers a shorter hemline, Monique Lhuillier’s fall 2012 collection provides playful designs.
- Baby It’s Cold Outside—Capes and boleros will keep brides’ shoulders from freezing in their wedding gowns.
- Decorating the Décolletage—For some women, the idea of a strapless gown is terrifying. In 2012, those brides need not fear because designers are featuring gorgeous gowns with sheer embellishments for the décolletage, almost like a veil for the neckline.
- Behold the Belt—One way to add personality and style to your dress is with a belt or sash around the beltline. Grossgrain ribbon can be adorned with jewels or crystals, adding a focal element to an otherwise ordinary wedding gown.
- Bouquets—Looking for a unique way to incorporate your something borrowed? How about using a family member’s jewelry as your bouquet versus flowers? It’s an ingenious idea and a wonderful way to up the familial ante on your big day.